Saturday, December 1, 2012

Wait, There's More


So, I explained in my last post how I earned bragging rights - and my very own brand - as The Fat Chick Who Figured It Out.

To encourage mass consumption, I introduced my message in an easy-to-chew size by focusing solely on the wake-up call that's now prompting many medical professionals to reconsider the theory that carrying extra weight is a guarantee of ill health and early death.

Irrefutable evidence to the contrary has been dubbed the "obesity paradox," and last time I checked, there were more than 200,000 Internet posts on the topic. I encourage you to check some of these out.

But there's more to the story. Way more. When I wrote my No Fat Chicks books a decade and a half ago, I believed our society was approaching the beginning of the end of a cruel and delusional era in which what I called the Eleventh Commandment for women prevailed: Thou must be thin!

As it turned out, I was overly optimistic back then, and suffered the usual fate of those who are ahead of their time. After an initial flurry of publicity that enabled me to repeat my message on TV and radio and in newspaper interviews, I was ignored.

Sadly, despite all the evidence and analysis I accumulated and reported to debunk the Billion Dollar Brainwash, which concocted the Eleventh Commandment and profited mightily, nothing much changed. In fact, many aspects of the mass delusion actually got worse.

But now I believe my timing in republishing my Canadian and American editions of No Fat Chicks as e-books is correct.

Millions of people are shouting, posting, and tweeting a giant NO to the stupidity of expecting all women and girls to be thin. Am I exaggerating? Check for yourself. If you type in the keywords "don't diet movement," you'll find more than 20 MILLION posts.

Read some of them. Rejoice. And I'll get back to you later with more evidence that, at least in the No Fat Chicks context, the world is coming to its senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment